Forensic Tests for Alcohol: Law Enforcement Training
The Forensic Tests for Alcohol Branch provides training to federal, state, county and municipal law enforcement agencies who have the responsibility of administering chemical analyses to drivers charged with implied consent offenses. Officers are trained and issued permits as Chemical Analysts to operate the Intox EC/IR II breath alcohol testing instrument.
Law Enforcement Training
- Intox EC/IR II Operator Basic
- Intox EC/IR II Operator Recertification
- Alcohol Screening Test Device (ASTD)
- Intro to Drugged Driving
- Drug Recognition Expert (DRE)
- Advanced Roadside Impaired Driving Enforcement (ARIDE)
- Standardized Field Sobriety Testing (SFST) and SFST Refresher
Instructor Certification Training
- Standardized Field Sobriety Testing (SFST) Instructor and Refresher
- Drug Recognition Expert (DRE) Instructor and Refresher
Initial Steps to Register for a Course
The Forensic Tests for Alcohol (FTA) Branch, the state agency responsible for providing breath alcohol testing courses in North Carolina, has partnered with the NC Justice Academy on a shared web-based registration and certification database designed for efficiency of student use, for every law enforcement officer in the state.
Prospective students must log in to their account at the NC Justice Academy Training Portal and complete the following steps:
- Type in the acronym FTA for a list of available courses offered by the Forensic Tests for Alcohol Branch.
- Click on the course of your choice.
- If you are intending to register, complete your Attestation of Good Character form and upload it when prompted.
- Follow the prompts indicated on your screen.
For questions relating to your student portal account, please contact Mr. Jeffrey Zimmerman.
For questions on specific courses, contact your agency’s Training Coordinator.
Last Modified: July 12, 2019