N.C. Cancer Prevention and Control Branch: Health Equity Recommendations
These health equity recommendations to reduce health disparities in general are adapted from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the National Association of County and City Health Officials.
- Identify/build strategic partnerships with community organizations in a variety of settings to address social determinants of health such as, employment, transportation, housing and public policy initiatives.
- Build community empowerment to address health disparities at the local level.
- Encourage alternative ways of thinking about public health practice, such as, dialogues on the impact of structural racism on health.
- Advocate, encourage, and support diversity within the workforce at all levels and positions.
- Increase funding for the development of initiatives for addressing health disparities and creating health equity.
Health equity recommendations specific to cancer prevention and control work
The following recommendation are designed to specifically reduce disparities in cancer.
- Improve early detection through routine screenings.
- Implement evidence‐based community interventions designed to improve the health of minority populations.
- Use a variety of culturally competent media to market cancer information to diverse populations in a variety of settings.
- Educate about the benefits of increased access to care for underserved populations to include:
- Healthcare coverage;
- Increasing funding for preventive screening programs, such as Breast and Cervical Cancer Control Programs (BCCCP) and colorectal screenings
- Increased access to nutrient dense foods through the elimination of food deserts.
- Develop research projects to study the differences in participation in, and results from, cancer prevention and care clinical trials between minority/ ethnic and other population groups.
- Increase funding for preventive cancer screening programs.
- Increase access to nutrient dense foods through the elimination of food deserts.
Cancer Branch Information
- Cancer Branch Home Page
- Advisory Committee on Cancer Coordination and Control
- Breast and Cervical Cancer Control Program (BCCCP)
- Colorectal Cancer
- Contact Us
- Health Equity
- NC WISEWOMAN
- Online Resources
Last Modified: June 10, 2019