2017 Ronald H. Levine Legacy Award
The 2017 Ronald H. Levine Legacy Award was presented to two recipients during the awards luncheon on Thursday, January 19, 2017. The 2017 awardees were Bob Seligson, MA, MBA, Executive Vice President and CEO of the North Carolina Medical Society; and Megan Davies, MD, former state Epidemiologist and North Carolina Division of Public Health Epidemiology Section Chief.
About the Legacy Award and Past Recipients
The person honored with the Legacy Award for Public Health will have a distinguished record of achievement in one or more of the following areas:
- Expanding the scope and impact of public health services and programs;
- Significantly improving public health systems, capacity or infrastructure;
- Enhancing public health capacity through policy development or collaboration with the private sector;
- Improving the public’s health through the creation of sustained partnerships; and/or
- Fostering public health improvement through sound science and research.
In order to be considered for the Statewide Impact Award, the selected individual’s contribution in one or more of these areas must have been sustained and significant.
Criteria for Selection
To be eligible for the Legacy Award for Public Health – Statewide Impact,
the selected individual must have been:
- Active in the practice of public health for a period of not less than 10 years; or,
- In a position to directly influence or guide public health systems change with regard to the body of public health work under consideration;
- Successful in making an enduring contribution to North Carolina’s state and local public health system.
Selections are not limited to state and local public health staff.
Award Announcement and Past Recipients
Past Ron Levine Award Recipients
- 2016 - Thomas J. Vitaglione, MPH
- 2015 - Jerry Parks
- 2014 - Joy Reed
- 2013 - Pam Silberman
- 2012 - William Pully
- 2011 - Rachael Stevens
- Paul M. Stone
- Beth Lovette
- Don Yousey
- Dean Smith
- Dr. Leah Devlin
- Thomas D. Bridges
- Mary L. Piepenbring
- John H. Frank
- Carmen Hooker-Odom, former Secretary of the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services
- Sen. William R. Purcell
- Rep. Edd Nye
- 2005 - Dr. Jesse H. Meredith
- 2004 - Dr. J.N. "Newt" MacCormack